Monday, December 8, 2008

Celeb-bodies


In a recent interview with Vanity Fair, Tina Fey admits to joining Weight Watchers to lose 30 lbs before stepping in front of cameras on Saturday Night Live. It is a strange comfort to know that looking good does not come at an easy price for all celebrities. Even Janet Jackson has admitted to the little-know fact that she hates working out. If celebrities hate working out, just like I do, and if celebrities must work hard to get the bodies they desire--then why would it be any different for me?

For starters I don't have a nutritionist, a chef, my own home gym, a personal trainer (oh wait, maybe I do) or countless other resources that celebs have at their disposal. I also don't like getting up early in the mornings, I'm too tired to workout after work, I hate cooking, I hate counting calories, I'm busy, and oh did I mention that I don't have time?! While I'm pretty sure most every working adult feels this way, there are still people out there who manage to fit eating healthy and working out around a hectic and busy work schedule--so what room do I have for excuses?

I am aware that the media glorifies a slender ideal for women. I am also aware that it is the job of actresses, musicians, models, and any woman in the public eye to look good. Undoubtedly, even Sarah Palin probably underwent a make-over before announcing her candidacy for V-Pilf in the last election. Logically, I know all these things and yet I still want to be thin.

I don't feel like I carry unreal expectations anymore. I no longer expect myself to be able to maintain a waifish 115 lbs. For some that may be possible, but not for me. I simply want to be back at a weight where I feel confident in my own skin. I want to be able to go shopping and actually enjoy dressing my body instead of trying to hide it. I want to be able to see pictures of myself and not want to cry. I want to be able to go out on dates and have good-looking guys notice me.

I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for satisfaction. Until I find satisfaction with my body, I know I won't be 100% happy and whole on the inside. So no more excuses, it's time to commit to my goals and make this happen. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, first of all, how good does Tina Fey look in that pic? I do think she's a pretty woman, but that photo is so completely retouched.

    Which leads me to my point of how completely inundated by photogenic perfection we are as women. We are constantly having to measure ourselves literally by perfect, the perfected image of women who themselves probably feel like less of a women next to those same pictures of themselves.

    You are beautiful. You really are. As you accept that, it becomes easier to do the things you should do anyway. Like take care of that peruvian-american princess bod in a way that has nothing to do with whether you can fit into size 6 jeans and everything to do with how healthy you are.

    Besides, how many people can say they are peruvian-american? You've already got the cool factor out the wazoo. xoxo

    ReplyDelete