Thursday, July 9, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons... make a Lemon Drop Martini!

I know this isn't how the old adage goes, but I'm a modern gal and if I have a choice between lemonade and a lemon drop martini--do you really have to ask? The point is not whether you prefer electric versus non-electric lemonade. The point is that you shouldn't let those lemons go to waste!

Every person, situation, or event in your life brings with it an opportunity to learn and grow.

However, it is my belief that in order to grow we must do two things. First, you need to be completely honest with yourself. You must honestly assess the situation you're in, how you got there, and what you would prefer instead. Based on that information, you can then set a new goal, write out the steps you must take in order to achieve that goal, and make it happen.

The second thing you need in order to grow is to be willing to take risks. Growth is not easy. If it were, you'd probably be there already. Nobody ever got rich sitting around in their parents' basement--so get out there and start taking chances!

Figure out what it is you have to risk in order to achieve your goal--it may require relocating to a new city where you don't know anyone, taking the time and spending the money to go back to school, quitting your current job and giving up financial security, re-writing your resume or hiring someone to re-write it for you, or talking to others who have achieved your goals already and finding out how they did it.

All of these things require risks--risk of rejection, money, time, etc. You may not always be successful, but rather than dwell on your failures (which there's bound to be) you must celebrate your successes, no matter how small. Remember, progress over perfection!

4 comments:

  1. I like that 'progress over perfection' :) ...good statement.

    As for the watergate salad...consider it DONE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post. And, I agree progress over perfection is exactly right. And, yes, there are always failures. We learn from them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post Jess! I always say shoot for persistence over perfection, but, I LOVE the progress spin too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are way too wise to only be 25 years old!!At 25 I was the one living in my mothers basement!! Not really..I agree getting out of your comfort zone is so important, in the mean time Im gonna head to the beach and have a lemon drop martini..enjoy the weekend..Figtreeapps

    ReplyDelete