Sunday, July 5, 2009

Today's OA quote

If an ass goes traveling, he'll not come home a horse. -Thomas Fuller

"'Going somewhere else has great appeal for many who are addicted to too much of a good thing.' This is known as 'geographic cure,' although those who use this term are well aware that a 'geographic' cures nothing; it is just another escape. Escapes simply compound addiction.

For today: God grant me the wisdom to understand my longings and the willingness to act in my own best interest." -For Today, OA

Today's quote leaves me baffled. I don't think I am trying to run away from anything. I don't think my life will magically become better if I leave Bloomington. I'm happy here and I could remain happy here. I have great friends, family, my dog, and I genuinely love my life. I guess what I don't love is my job and for some reason I have always had a yearning to leave Bloomington and Indiana. I just want to know what's out there.

I think at first when I was considering school in Chicago I did want to run away. I kept thinking, "what is there for me here?" I didn't have a boyfriend, I didn't like my job, and I wasn't involved in anything I was really passionate about. Now I still don't have the bf or the job I love, but I have goals and something I am passionate about working towards. I guess I could stay here in Indiana and try to make my career goals come true, go to school here, etc. But when else am I going to have this chance to do something completely different? If I stay here, I may find a job, meet a guy, settle down and never get the chance to do this. If I go, then I always have the option of coming back, which I hope to do. I ultimately would like to get married and raise a family close to home.

So, I'm not sure if this quote applies to me. I definitely agree with the prayer at the end though. I really do hope that God can help me understand my longings and help me act in my own best interest.

4 comments:

  1. That quote made me laugh. There are so many contradictory quotes out there that if you applied every one to your life, you'd run around chasing your tail forever. My dad gave me the best advice once when I was on the fence in a big way (divorce). "Do what you must, trust yourself and get on with it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess ~ I LOVE the quote and the thought you put into it all. I am proud of you for wanting to take a risk to get somewhere or see what else is out there. I am a firm believer in doing the things you want to do instead of not doing them and always wondering! You are going to do awesome in SD, and if not, you can always return to Indiana but at least you will know you were brave enough to go check it all out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving to SD is such a growth opportunity for you....Life is short embrace the challenge!! Figtreeapps

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe it applies to you, Although it does to many. It is a good quote.

    You want to run to experience, not run to avoid the problems of life. Being young, and not having the responsibilities that many do, enables you to be selfish. I am 'selfish', or should we say self focused :) right now in my own goals. I completely understand the desire to want to meet people, open new doors and follow your dreams, wherever they take you. I admire you for doing that, and you always have my support!

    xoxox
    char

    ReplyDelete