Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Food Finds!

Yesterday I dropped another insane amount of money on groceries! Every week I swear I'll spend less, but I think healthy eating ends up costing me a LOT. I guess that's better than the alternative! I bought the usual, a ton of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, plums, strawberries, nectarines, cherries, and apricots), canned fruit (pears and mandarin oranges), and frozen fruit (raspberries for smoothies). Ok, so call me crazy, but I'll seriously get through all of that fruit in a week.

I also picked up a couple new items to try! For my morning snack I had a nectarine, cherries, and I finally got to try Kashi's new Dark Chocolate Coconut Fruit & Grain bar. I'm not going to lie, it was super delicious! Dare I say, better than their Pumpkie Pie bar.

I also picked up a new flavor of Peanut Butter & Co.'s The Bee's Knees. My friend Char, the author of Health and Fitness with Char turned me onto this brand of PB last year, and I've never ate anything else since! I always get the White Chocolate Wonderful and it is seriously to die for! Last fall, I tried their Mighty Maple but was left disappointed. It may have been good had I never tried the white chocolate, but it didn't so much as compare. I still haven't had a chance to try the honey flavor but I cannot wait! I think I see a peanut butter and apple sandwich in my future...

All this good food and somehow I still managed to avoid a binge last night! It's weird because I rushed through my dinner and felt guilty and unsatisfied afterward. Normally that would cause me to binge, but I didn't. I kept thinking about OA and how they use a plan for meals. I already ate dinner, so that was my last planned meal for the day. I didn't need to eat anything else and I especially shouldn't binge because it wasn't physical hunger I was feeling, just emotional hunger. I wanted to punish and numb myself with more food for eating the dinner too quickly and not taking the time to enjoy what I was eating instead of just shoving food into my face.

The only thing that stopped me from binging is my commitment to working the program. It's funny because if I were on a "diet" I most definitely would have rebelled, but having a food plan while essentially the same thing, feels like something I could allow myself to follow. Anyway, just an after thought.

5 comments:

  1. Wow that new Kashi bar sounds amazing. We have nothing in our grocery stores like that. Pout. It seems like everyone in the country gets that crap before us. Who knows why. I like the white chocolate wonderful too. Have yet to find it out here. You'll have to import it from Indiana or something.

    And, congrats on fighting the binge. It's a devil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG..I just bought it..it is delicious!!! I have to say, white chocolate wonderful is still my fave though =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh..forgot to tell you..to save money, I pick 2 fresh veggies, bananas(cheap) and only 1-2 other fruits to incorporate in my diet throughout the week. I vary them every week.

    We usually buy the frozen steam veggies that are packaged for 1.99 a bag, they would stretch over to 2 meals worth for you. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read Intuitive Eating? It was the book of a couple books that snapped me out of the occasional night time binge that seemed to be happening more and more often once I hit maintenance mode and I felt like I was spiraling toward an eating disorder. Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels too. Once I learned that eating before bed messes with your hormones, it totally changed my perspective. I came to realize that I needed to start eating more during the day and then the urge to binge at night disappeared. Knowing the science behind it really made a difference for me. Congrats on fighting the urge when it hits though, I've been there too many time myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those Kashi bars and can't wait to hear what you think of the Bees Knees. I haven't tried my jar yet, but, I agree with you on the Mighty Maple.....

    ReplyDelete